Thailand and the United States will co-host the annual, multilateral Exercise Cobra Gold in various areas throughout the Kingdom of Thailand February 14-24, 2017.
Exercise Cobra Gold, the largest multilateral exercise in Asia, has taken place annually for more than 30 years. Cobra Gold 2017, the 36th version of the military exercise, will bring together more than two dozen nations to address regional and global security challenges and to promote international cooperation and stability within the region.
Cobra Gold 2017 will strengthen regional cooperation and collaboration, increasing the ability of participating nations to work together on complex multilateral operations such as enhancing maritime security, preventing and mitigating emerging disease threats, and responding to large-scale natural disasters. The exercise will improve the capabilities of participating nations to plan and conduct combined, joint operations; build relationships across the region; and improve interoperability across a wide range of security activities.
This year’s Cobra Gold will consist of three primary events: a staff exercise which includes a senior leader seminar, a field training exercise that includes a variety of training events to strengthen regional relationships and enhance interoperability, and humanitarian civic assistance projects in Thai communities.
There will be up to 29 nations either directly participating in or observing Cobra Gold 2017, with approximately 3,600 U.S. personnel directly participating in the various events both ashore and afloat.
Media are invited to attend the following events:
- 14 February: Cobra Gold Opening Ceremony, Sattahip Royal Thai Marine Corps Base, Chonburi Province.
- 17 February: Amphibious Assault Demonstration, Hat Yao Beach, Sattahip, Chonburi Province.
- 19 February: Non-combatant Evacuation Operation (NEO) / Transportation of Japanese Nationals Overseas (TJNO), Utapao Naval Base, Rayong Province.
- 23 February: Humanitarian Civic Action Project Site One Dedication Ceremony, Ban Non Leuam School, Nakhon Ratchasima Province.
- 24 February: Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise (CALFEX) / Closing Ceremony, Phu Lamyai Training Area, Nakhon Ratchasima Province.
Source: US Embassy & Consulate in Thailand